I don’t usually participate in meme’s, but the meme Jim Byford tagged me with is a pretty good exercise. Not to mention the fact that I haven’t written a post in December yet, I needed to be inspired and Jim’s post did the trick.
A site called Mindapples has started a meme asking people to identify 5 things I do to keep my mind in check.
So here are 5 things I do – or hope to do – to keep my mind going:
- The gym, I’m a big believer in the philosophy that a healthy body leads to a healthy mind.
- Meditation, in university I took a class called Body, Mind and Spirit and although I don’t get to do this enough, and plan on doing more in 2009, meditation is a good way of keeping the mind nimble.
- Read books, fiction and non fiction – I like to read, my target was to read 50 books this year, came pretty close. Reading keeps me going and fiction keeps my imagination active, non fiction keeps me grounded with the ideas of those living in the same world rather then parallel universe of non fiction pieces.
- Sleep – although I don’t sleep as much as I would like, getting my 6 hours in helps me make sure that I’m able to focus when focus is called for.
- Conversations with the bee – it could be about religion, or about our favourite people, or about business, social development or the web, whatever the subject might be discussions with my better whole (cause that’s what she is a whole person, as am I, never really bought the whole two halves idea) helps keep my mind in check.